Saturday, April 3, 2010
Un-Baked Cookie Nests
Adapted from Kitchen Simplicity
Kids can: Fill the nests with coconut and eggs.
* 2 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/2 cup butter
* 3 cups rolled oats
* 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
* pinch salt
* 1 cup coconut
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* mini chocolate eggs and coconut, for decorating.
1. Bring sugar, milk and butter to a boil in a saucepan. Simmer 3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients until well incorporated.
3. Spoon into lightly greased muffin cups (or use un-greased silicone muffin cups for easier removal). Using the back of a spoon press the mixture down in the middle and up along the sides, forming a nest. Allow to harden.
4. Using a knife, loosen the edges and gently pop out the nests.
5. Store covered at room temperature for up to two days. Freeze for longer storage.
6. To decorate: sprinkle with coconut and fill with mini eggs.
Makes: 12 large
* For a super cute alternative you could form these in mini muffin cups.
* If you would like to tint the coconut a certain color simply place it in a resealable plastic bag along with a few drops of food coloring. Massage and shake until evening distributed.
* You could use jelly beans or chocolate covered almonds for a different variety of eggs.
* To make the regular cookies simply drop the mixture by spoonfuls onto wax paper and allow to firm up.